Sunday, July 10, 2005

When I was going to St Ives...















Moseyed over to St Ives yesterday for a pasty and a paddle, in order to make the most of what promised to be a gloriously sunny weekend. The sky was cloudless and the water was a clear sparkling turquoise - and not that cold.

Why would you want to go abroad instead, that's what I want to know. A colleague at work is getting excited about going to Egypt, but the pictures she's got are of expanses of featureless beach with hundreds of picnic tables all the same. Concrete hotels and swimming pools. Is it me? I'd take Cornwall over your average resort any day.

Mind you, do you get seagulls in Egypt? We were sat on a bench eating ice creams, when a bloke with a pasty sat down next to us - directly in front of a sign saying please do not feed the segulls or you will be shot - and promptly threw a huge chunk to a pigeon. As I weighed up leaning over and saying "Can you not read? are you deficient?" agaist the probability of getting punched (he was rather large), a flock of seagulls* descended and tried to make off with the rest of it, leaving him flapping and swearing at them. So feeling that justice had been done, I kept quiet...

* Something should really be done about dodgy pop groups rampaging in coastal towns

5 Comments:

At 8:06 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really really like the combined image of pasty consumption and paddling. I'm also a bit jealous: I have a worrying obsession with 'proper' cornish pasties, Ginsters just don't cut it. But Cornwall is soo far away.......
Does anyone export proper pasties to less fortunate areas, like Kent maybe?

 
At 6:18 pm , Blogger James Henry said...

Actually the Custard Tart in Canterbury (Newman Street, opposite Waterstones) has proper pasties sent up from St. Austell. They are lovely, and I used to have them regularly for breakfast, and as a conmsequence became quite fat.

 
At 7:11 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah.....I have many happy memories of Canterbury. Or rather, I have many happy memories of the group of girls myself and a group of boys used to go and visit quite often around the age of 18. (that was an unbelievable eight years ago: I feel so old :( ). This regualar visiting led (although sadly not for me) to some even happier memories for some members of my party, if the rumours be true........

 
At 7:16 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, there's a shop in Chatham high street that claims to be selling genuine imported Cornish pasties. I've tried them - they aren't. There's not nearly enough pepper in them for one thing, and they've used mince instead of nice lumps of steak. *disapointment*

 
At 8:14 pm , Blogger Izzy said...

There was a bakery in York that used to advertise as a Cornish Pasty what was in fact a square of puff pastry with mince and peas. Points for bare faced cheek, I suppose...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home