Sunday, September 12, 2004

"Samurai - come!"

I've heard it's a bugger to get out of the sheets...

Well that's two and a half hours of my life I'm not getting back - The Last Samurai, with Tom Cruise. And this is a fan of his talking (those that give a toss about the plot and haven't seen it yet should probably stop reading now).

Basically it irritated the tits off me that if the 'big-up the honour thing' samurai had told the emperor what he should do when he was asked his opinion instead of wibbling, he could have avoided thousands of people dying needlessly. Okay, so it would have been a shorter film in which even less happens (first hour and a half - Cruise is involved in a minor skirmish and learns Japanese. That's. About. It.) but then again that might not have been a bad thing. Pretty much the only positive thing I can say it that is was better than Vanilla Sky, which was the biggest pile of shite I've seen for a long time. I think I'll have to go and re-watch the Mission: Impossibles to recover my faith...


2 Comments:

At 11:29 am , Blogger James Henry said...

Totally agree re the 'glorious death' plot. Wouldn't it be a lot braver to, well, stay alive for the sake of your wife and kids? I did like the ninja attack bit though, a sequence guaranteed to enliven the dullest film. I think Tom Cruise should get attacked by ninjas in every film from now on.

BTW, I have the HTML code to do a blog roll if you want. You'll have to fiddle with it for a bit, then cut and paste it into the Template. And no, none of that made sense to me a month ago either.

 
At 12:12 pm , Blogger Izzy said...

I did appreciate the way they stuck to the traditional format of ninja attacks and came at them in ones and twos I have to say.

And yes please to the code. If I can't make it work I shall bribe Matt with alcohol till he does it for me...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home