Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Arsenic & Old Lace


Arsenic & Old Lace
Originally uploaded by CornishRambler.
Last night we went to see Arsenic and Old Lace at the Hall For Cornwall, which I wanted to see because Louise Jameson was in it, and other than a vague familiarity with the title, didn't know a lot about it.

Two elderly sisters living in Brooklyn (Jameson, and Sherrie Hewson) have been making a habit of offing their prospective lodgers and getting their nephew (who's convinced he's Teddy Roosevelt) to bury them in the cellar. Over one frenetic night, newly engaged second nephew Mortimer finds out their secret in the shape of a body in the window seat. The same night, their long lost criminal third nephew turns up, accompanied by sinister German plastic surgeon Einstein (think Herr Flick's hapless sidekick in Allo Allo) - and they've got a body of their own to dispose of too...

Was slightly uneasy for the first few minutes, as it appeared to be largely acting-by-shouting, but soon settled into the spirit and thoroughly enjoyed it (although another inch of legroom would have gone a long way, if you see what I mean). The comic timing was brilliant and I loved the set of the house interior. The programme was unusually good value too, with as well as info on the current production, sections on the history of the play and on the history of arsenic and its uses in poisoning!

7 Comments:

At 5:13 pm , Blogger Dave said...

I shall view any refreshments you bring to the cricket on Saturday with a little suspicion. Unless it's a birthday cake, obviously.

 
At 6:21 pm , Blogger Izzy said...

gosh, is it someone's birthday then....

 
At 8:55 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave has commissioned you to provide a small cake especially for me on the occasion of his birthday. I know that we hardly know each other, but to avoid the violent confrontations that can accompany inappropriate confectionery, I should stress that the cake should be entirely vegan, have very little sugar and not contain such preposterous items as carrot. 'Carrot cake' is an oxymoron. I am not, by nature, a fussy person, but I have found that a little time in specification saves a lot of trouble later.

 
At 3:30 pm , Blogger Dave said...

Izzy, arsenic is, I believe, entirely vegan in nature, so should cause you no problems.

I do apologise for the intrusion and demanding nature of Mr Scurra.

 
At 4:21 pm , Blogger Izzy said...

hmmn, a context of "vegan" and "very little sugar" seems barely to warrant the description "cake" (although I agree about the evil nature of carrot cake).

I shall see what the medicine, er, I mean store cupboard, can come up with...

 
At 11:08 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pop over here with a little useful advice, and now they're planning to poison me. I can stay at home in comfort for that sort of treatment, thank you very much.

 
At 3:11 pm , Blogger The Book Fiend said...

I'm hoping to see this in October when it plays here in Aberdeen. I'm dying to see it as Arsenic & Old Lace is one of my all-time favourite films & I've never seen the play before! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home