Saturday, January 14, 2006

A Token Protest

Is there a particular etiquette for the giving of particular 'types' of book tokens as change? Was mildly narked in the local (independent) bookshop today, when making a purchase with a national token, I was given one of their own as my pound change, rather than one I could spend anywhere in the universe. Obviously, being British, I wasn't going to object, and it wasn't exactly a terrible injustice, but I did suffer a vague "hey!" feeling.

This being the same shop that a couple of weeks ago managed to come up with the appropriate token in change, but took the additional penny from the till and left it sitting tantalisingly on the edge instead of handing it over with the token and receipt. Would have looked rather stingy to demand my rightful penny, but still. It's the little things that niggle.

However, in a spot of pleasing karmic over-balance on the part of the gods, today a lady promptly tapped me on the shoulder and said "I think you dropped this" and handed me a pound coin. Now I hadn't, I hadn't had my wallet change bit open, but there wasn't anyone else around that might have, so I said 'oh, thank you!'. And scarpered.

2 Comments:

At 9:37 am , Blogger Dave said...

Did you read my blog on November 19th? Spooky coincidence.

 
At 7:11 pm , Blogger Izzy said...

Blimey! At least my lot were just painfully vague. In fact so vague, the first time, when the asssistant was serving the person in front of me, she rang it up, handed over the book in a bag with a 'thank you' - then looked totally bemused at the fact that the lady was still standing patiently holding out her tenner to be taken in payment...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home